There is a fundamental shift within the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) towards Information Enabled Capability. Big Data and Secure Mobility, enabled by Cloud and Cyber Security, provide many end-user benefits. This, when combined with emerging commercial trends such as the Internet of Things, will bring significant benefits to military personnel.
Across Defence there are a number of technical and information challenges:
- Securing information, rather than the system, whilst adapting to the increasingly dynamic and advanced cyber security threat.
- Collecting and storing vast quantities of data from many sources and legacy applications, which reduces the efficiency and ability to analyse it or predict trends.
- Delivering everyday mobile device functionality (including remote device and identity management) in a secure environment to Impact Level 3 (IL3), and evolving applications management processes for flexibility.
- Stovepiped information systems in theatre with limited standardisation. Manpower reductions resulting in less individuals to support information gathering and financial constraints demanding efficient use of assets.
- Connecting people across the Defence ecosystem in a secure manner ensuring experts and talent can be identified quickly and using technology to increase workforce productivity.
- UK Government’s drive to more agile information service delivery which is underpinned by spectrum – a finite resource.
We have multiple solutions which can support the MOD’s drive to deliver more effective information management:
Big Data for Defence
We combine new types of data, technologies and management approaches in a secure manner to break down data stovepipes and improve operational effectiveness. We offer end-to-end big data services including consultancy, tools and large scale secure data solutions to IL6. For example, the Police National Database holds 2 billion records and in 2013 the UK Police Forces carried out more than 2.5 million searches.
Secure Mobility for Defence
We help organisations to give their staff the flexibility to work anywhere securely. We can provide Secure (IL3) iOS and windows mobile devices as a service on G-Cloud, Mobile Device Management including apps store and help desk, and mobile platform monitoring. For example, we supported the mobile Augmented Reality trials for Dstl and have delivered 5,000 tablets to the Crown Prosecution Service.
Connectivity & Collaboration
- Internet of Things (Machine to Machine)
We can help transform the way information is gathered and managed by connecting machines and devices. New information can be automatically harvested freeing limited manpower resources from mundane tasks.
For example, our data services will support the automation of 53 million Smart Meters across the UK.
- Social Business for Defence
Our JIVE Social business tools available through G-Cloud can help to create a ‘learning organisation’ by driving required business change with improved collaboration both internally and externally.
Future Infrastructure for Defence
We can help organisations to evolve from legacy infrastructure to new computing approaches exploiting shared services. We are enabling more efficient delivery of non-differentiated services both in the UK and abroad. We can provide Secure Government Cloud hosting and spectrum management tools and expertise supporting policy and operations.
We have the world’s first 5* rated service desk and a long history of hosting MOD services such as Defence medical and vetting records.
Cyber Security for Defence
We can provide risk, threat and vulnerability assessments, security strategy and training, secure systems engineering, testing and evaluation, protective monitoring and advanced threat detection.
We have over 35 years of experience with the UK Government securing programmes such the Defence Information Infrastructure (DII-F), Galileo, Skynet 5, Police National Database and Smart Metering.
- Ability to break down data stovepipes and improve operational effectiveness
- Flexibility to work anywhere securely, with the information that is needed
- Free limited manpower resources from mundane tasks
- Create a ‘learning organisation’ by driving required business change with improved collaboration
- More efficient delivery of nondifferentiated services in the UK and overseas
- Adopt a business-focused approach to cyber security
- Improved operational effectiveness and efficiency
- Ability to acquire agile, competitive, pay-as-you-go information for reduced up-front investment, with shorter procurement cycles