Earth Observation data is fundamental to tackling many of today’s issues relating to climate change and understanding the Earth’s natural resources better. Data acquired from satellites can be used to monitor things like coastal erosion, atmospheric chemistry and land usage. Users of such data are extremely diverse - from scientists to governments, meteorologists, forecasters, insurers, geologists, urban and transport planners, and defence - to name a few.
So how do we take the huge quantities of raw satellite data and turn it into meaningful, actionable insight? Satellite data is rarely used in isolation; it is typically blended with terrestrial data, which provides further challenges in terms of calibrating and combining different data sources to give an accurate picture.
This is where CGI can help. We have one of the largest industrial groups in Europe specialising in data processing and developing data-enabled services. We help turn Earth Observation data into information you can trust and act upon.
- More on our track record
- Provides end-to-end EO ground system solutions that work 24x7 developing applications and services to exploit EO data .
- Ensures Earth observation data is secure and trustworthy providing consultancy on end-user requirements - how to address them commercially, technically, organisationally and legally.
- Our clients in Earth Observation include EUMETSAT, ECMWF, the European Space Agency (ESA) and specifically ESRIN, ESA’s Earth observation facility, and several meteorological agencies.
- Many of the programmes we undertake involve increasing uptake among end users. For example, we led the ESA GlobWave project, which improved the uptake of satellite-derived wind-wave and swell data in the scientific, operational and commercial user communities. This was done via a single user-friendly web portal for ocean wave information.
- We’re leading ESA’s Storm Surge project as well, which will facilitate the uptake of Earth observation data among the global user community.
- We’re also working with leading insurers to explore the use of Earth observation data to support the insurance industry. Satellite imagery helps them assess risk and damage caused by events such as hurricanes, floods, storms and fires. They are now able to make ‘before and after’ comparisons to help verify the authenticity of insurance claims.
Underpinning our services are Data Processing and Exploitation Platforms which we deliver for specific clients or as a service. Providing Earth Observation analysis using Software as a Service (SaaS) makes it faster, more cost effective and scalable to create apps that meet your unique business requirement.
CGI has developed space enabled applications for health, transport, public sector, farming, oil and gas, trading, finance, insurance. Why not contact us to find out what space could do for you?