The need for Security in the Transport Ecosystem
Transportation forms an integral part of a nation’s critical infrastructure. Preserving the integrity, confidentiality and availability of information and services is a leading priority for every transport organization.
It has never been more so with the advent of intelligent transport systems and services. Connected cars, connected aircraft, automated passenger journey information and self-service airports—all powered by the adoption of new technologies such as the Internet of Things—enable the tracking of passenger and freight movements.
The adoption of these services is underpinned by changes in infrastructure and the rise of new technologies, including cloud computing and shared services. These services also increase potential risks to the business.
The collision of physical and cyber attacks are real threats for which organizations should be prepared and ask the following questions:
- How prepared is your organization? Could it withstand a cyber attack?
- How secure are your company processes?
- How secure are your suppliers’ and partners’ cybersecurity defenses?
We address these and other questions as we examine the impact of the connected world and subsequent risks in the transport sector.
Everyone wants to feel safe when they’re travelling, whether it’s by road, rail, sea, air or simply on foot. A host of organizations, including governments and transport operators, are working to ensure safety—and we’re right there with them.
Moving people and goods is critical to the success of any modern society and requires intelligence to be built into transport systems to minimize risk while maintaining freedom of movement. The customer experience and customer journey are fundamental to success.
At a basic level, the combination of customer experience and risk mitigation involves the use of cameras, scanners and other devices to detect and screen objects and people, while at a higher level, it also involves carrying out security evaluations, dependent upon the risk profile and risk appetite of the organization.
The aim of this paper is to provide insight and analysis for executives and decision makers around the world who understand the importance of transportation system security in today’s world.
CGI’s transport security solutions are designed to deliver clarity to the complex task of protecting passengers, cargo and high-risk assets. We work with government, military, law enforcement and security organizations and within the aviation, maritime and rail industries to deliver the following:
- Superior passenger experience
- Increased value and efficiencies
- Protected and enhanced reputation
- Strong environmental, health and safety programs
- Compliance and governance reviews
- Examination of the security measures of organizations within their wider ecosystem
- Adoption and deployment of new technologies such as cloud and mobile apps, mindful of the security risks and business impacts
- Privacy for employee and customer data
- Review of cost of reputation and cost of money
- Examination of reputational risks and loss of customer loyalty
- Examination of financial cost of crisis management
- Threat-level assessment
- Examination of the countermeasures in place
- Recommended strategies to deal with threats
- Predictive analytics of threat vectors and countermeasures
- 24/7/365 monitoring
- Continuity of operations
Security is one of our areas of special expertise. We’ve carried out more than 60 percent of UK government security evaluations and provide top-level security solutions for governments and commercial organizations worldwide. In transport, we have a 30-year track record of supporting transportation organizations globally with both operational efficiencies and security improvements.
It’s this kind of experience that uniquely positions us to provide safety and security solutions for the transport sector.
Transport systems are attractive targets for individuals seeking to inflict major disruption and economic damage. They are inherently vulnerable to attack because they are open systems that serve large numbers of people at predictable times in predictable places.
CGI is constantly thinking ahead to the next level of protection.